During the EGNAZORES2017 Conference, a field trip in the S. Miguel Island will take place in 8th Sep. 2017, open to participants, including students and accompanying persons, with registration done correctly (e.g. payment confirmed).
Three different options are offered for the Mid-conference Field Trip, with a limited number of vacancies, to be chosen by participants upon your professional and personal wishes, by filling in accordance the registration form:
Option 1: “Feel and taste the S. Miguel volcanoes”
With stops in Caldeira Velha thermal area, the Fogo Volcano caldera, the Pico do Ferro viewpoint (over the Furnas Volcano caldera) and the Furnas geosite, including the lake and the fumarolic fields.
Option 2: “...deep blue and coloured greens”
Including a sea cliffs geological interpretation and dolphin & whale watching cruise, and stops in Ponta da Ferraria geosite, the Lagoa do Canário viewpoint (over the Sete Cidades Volcano caldera) and the Ribeira Seca volcanic memorial.
Option 3: “Geocultural landscapes”
With stops in the Carlos Machado Museum (Natural History section), pineapple greenhouses, the frontage and cannon ball impact at the Vila Franca do Campo ignimbrite´s church, and the Vista do Rei viewpoint (over the Sete Cidades Volcano caldera and its poetic lakes).
• This is a full-day field trip, untill about 6 P.M..
• A pic-nic lunch will be provided to all participants.
• Even the field trip take place in late Summer, each participant should bring the adequate shoes or boots, rain and mild-warm clothes, as weather can change quite often and sometimes high elevation viewpoints are to be visited.
• Option 2 includes a half-day sea cruise; those with seasickness issues should take that in consideration when register.
• No hard and long walks (more than 15 minutes) are envisaged; nevertheless, some places to visit are not fully prepared for disable people or persons needing special assistance.
• Insurance and liabilities advertisement: neither the EGNAZORES2017 Conference organization, nor the excursion leaders or their affiliations, shall assume any liability for possible accidents or any loss incurring the participants of the fieldtrips.
• The program indicated is provisional and may change.